Written Quetions

For questions asking peopel to provide a list of N things (e.g. 4) either to consider or to discloure for something (e.g. SAO), if I am sure and have provided 3 items as answers, but I am not sure about the last one. I am debating between two items, so should I provide both two unsure answers (5 in total) or should I just provide one that I am more sure of (4 in total)? Basically, I would like to know how graders grade these kind of questions. Do graders just look for 4 correct answers out of more than 4 items provided (e.g. 5 provided, 4 correct ones and 1 wrong one) and do not subtract points for the wrong 5th answer, or graders would subtract points for the wrong answers provided even though I have provided 4 correct ones? Thank you.

Comments

• In this situation, in the examiner's comments, you will often find that they say they considered the first four items given for credit. So, there is no benefit in putting all five items down.

• edited September 2023

Yes, the graders are aware of those tricks that candidates use if they are not 100% sure of the answer. If they ask for 4 items, they grade only the first 4. According to what the examiners' reports have stated, they would ignore any answers past the first 4, whether they are right or wrong. (No credit given, but no penalty either.)