Fall 2012 #17

JJJJJJ
edited April 2023 in Odomirok.18-IEE

For a, why are we not considering the net investment income and the realized capital gain for the next investment gain? Is it because it’s not for PPA-liability specifically?

Comments

• Yes, correct. Also, remember that:

net investment income + realized capital gain = investment gain on insurance transactions + investment gain on capital and surplus

• Thanks!

• Sure, good luck.

• Hello, for this question, I did not deduct Prepaid Expense Incurred from the pretax profit excl investment gain as I thought that it is already included in the Total Investment Gain calculation, why should we include this? Also, why should we only deduct half of the Net General Expense Incurred?

• Prepaid expense is commission. It is not an investment expense. It belongs in the profit calculation.

The problem is old (2012) and I do not find this taking half of general expense mentioned in the Odomirok IEE text. So, I think this solution is outdated and you should use the full GE amount.

• For GE, would it be based on the answer provided in the following forum discussion?

https://www.battleacts6us.ca/vanillaforum6us/discussion/23/prepaid-expenses-for-uep#latest

In which, we should use 50% GE since the net acquisition expenses for the PPER includes the other 50%?

• Yes, I see the discrepancy in our two statements. Here is Graham's comment on this:

This is a case where official syllabus readings don't quite line up and I don't know what the graders would do. If you don't take 50%, that should probably be marked correct without further comment since it isn't mentioned in the Exam 6 syllabus readings. If you do take 50%, then a brief reference to the pricing convention would be advisable.

One point which I didn't think about before is that here we are constructing financial statements whereas in Exam 5, we are doing a pricing analysis. Those are different purposes so the methods may not have to completely agree.

So, no definitive answer here but my advice in these situations is to provide a brief explanation so the grader knows you understand what you're doing and that it's intentional.