Tax Benefit Confusion

Hi -
I am wondering why in the sections for Tax Effect of a Commutation, the primary insurer ends up with a positive change to taxable income and the reinsurer ends up with a negative change (in the examples)- but then in the Pricing a Commutation section, it's discussed that the Primary insurer should have a tax benefit: "The primary insurer's tax benefit pT should be positive. In a commutation, the primary insurer is taking back a group of claims. That causes a shift in their balance sheet from assets to liabilities, which is a shift from taxable to non-taxable income." This would make me think that the primary insurer should have a negative change to taxable income in the Tax Effect of a Commutation section.

Is there an explanation to connect these concepts?

Comments

• Could you point me to exactly where you see the sentences you quote?

• edited April 2023

For "Tax Effect of a Commutation" I am referring to the PDF examples that solve for the change in taxable income. Sample answer (easy version):

Insurer taxable income increases while reinsurer taxable income decreases.

This seems to contradict what is stated in a following section.

The quoted sentence is the answer to the pop quiz in the "Pricing a Commutation" section of Klann.ReinsComm

• We are looking into this and will let you know soon.

• Hi - do you have an update? Thanks.

• We are working on a rewording of the Pop Quiz Answer and will let you know soon. Sorry about the wait.

• so p_T is really just (change in taxable income for primary) x (tax rate for primary)? it seems odd to add p_T to (price - ceded reserves), and then flip the equation for change in taxable income for primary. Would it be wrong to just say:

Price - (economic-discounted primary's ceded reserves prior to commuation) - (p_T), where

p_T = (tax rate) x [(commutation price) - (statutory-discounted loss reserves)]

This would make the equations directly in line with the concepts from the previous section where,

change in taxable income for primary insurer = price - [(ceded reserves) x d1].

Algebraically, it all works since I'm changing the signs and then changing the order of the equation, but I guess I am wondering why it was flipped in the first place.

• p_T is as you define it above.

primary insurer benefit = price - (economic-discounted primary's ceded reserves prior to commuation) +(p_T)

I don't follow what you mean by "flipping the equation."

• I am just defining p_T as the increase in taxes paid for the primary and then subtracting it off from the mutual benefit equation. Where BattleActs is defining p_T as the decrease in taxes paid for the primary and then adding it to the mutual benefit equation which was throwing me for a loop for a bit. Just to clarify on the flipped equation:

My p_T = (primary tax rate)x[P - (ceded reserves) x (d_1)]
    BA's p_T = (primary tax rate)x[(ceded reservers) x (d_1) - P]

I am getting the BA's version of p_T from BattleActs' re-formatted example of Spring 2016 #27. I also see the examiner's report shows it the same way as BattleActs, it was just confusing me at first to call it a tax benefit.

• p_T, the tax benefit of commutation for primary, is the negative of (change in taxable income for primary) x (tax rate for primary). That's why it is added in primary's benefit expression.

Yes, your way, with your definition of p_T, works too. But yours is keeping track of the increase in tax, which is not a "benefit" of commutation. That's why it was not preferred in the wiki treatment.

• the formula for mutual price seem confused when it comes to decrease to tax benefit. Can we define it more simple this way: (Economic Discounted + Tax rate* Change in taxable income) For insurer< Mutual price<(Economic Discounted - Tax rate* Change in taxable income ) For reinsurer. I think it will go along with the formular for change in taxable income in the Wiki

• I don't see the Wiki having an explicit formula for mutual price. Rather, it is solved for in the solution. Your formula appears to work. Feel free to use it.