Certification Update

edited October 2020 in Webel.TRIA-1

The Wiki and BattleCards state that a terrorist act is certified by the Secretary of the Treasury, Secretary of State, and Attorney General.

However, in the 2014 reauthorization, the law was changed so that the Secretary of Treasury does the certification, in consultation with the Secretary of Homeland Security (replacing Secretary of State) and Attorney General. I'm not sure if the "consultation" distinction is important, but the change from Secretary of State to Secretary of Homeland Security definitely is.

From the first page of the Appendix in Webel.2:

Beginning in 2015, removes the
Secretary of State from the
certification process. Adds
“consultation” with the
Secretary of Homeland Security.
Removes the $5 million
minimum size for certification.

Comments

• The removal of Secretary of State is correct, thanks. I've updated the wiki and BattleCard. I would agree that the wording "consultation" is too fine a distinction. If you can list the 3 parties involved, that should be sufficient.

The removal of the $5 million threshold isn't too clear however. Whereas the reading explicitly stated the Secretary of State is removed, as far as I can tell they didn't refer specifically to the $5 million threshold. It appears as though it may be removed upon the study and report by the Secretary. (Maybe it already has been removed since this is now 6 years old.)

If certification is asked on the exam, I'd include the the $5 million but say the update implies it could be removed in the future.