2017 Fall #21

In the solution step 2, AMTI calculation, where does the 75% come frome?
Thanks.

Comments

• Sorry, I guess I didn't make that too clear. It's just a formula from the text. It's on the 2nd last line of page 330 in Odomirok. That sentence says:

• AMTI consists of regular taxable income plus 75% of income that escapes regular taxation, such as the complement of the prorated municipal bond interest included in regular taxable income.

So it's always 75% regardless of any other information given in the question.

• Is this problem not outdated even though it uses the calculation for AMTI?

• edited October 2021

Yeah, I missed that one. I've turned it orange to indicate it's at least partly outdated because of the reference to AMTI. Thx!

• Since the more involved process of calculating the tax on Dividends is no longer in the syllabus, would we just add the whole amount of Dividends to the RTI?

• I don't think that would be a good idea! They should really not provide dividend information at all so you shouldn't have to deal with it.

(If they do provide dividend information, I would include a comment that dividend taxation was removed in the current version of Odomirok's CAS Financial Reporting text. I would also submit an appeal about a defective question immediately after the exam.)

• edited October 2022

so now the dividend piece is also outdated right?
    meaning the Tax Bases for investments would just be = 20*.25
    20 being the interest on the municipal bonds

• Yes, this is correct.